Do check Ps Steve's recent blog on Bible Verses I Don't Like (click on link for original post or see below for repost) and also More Difficult Bible Verses.
What are some verses that you don't like in the Bible? I think for me one of them must be Philippians 1:27 ... the word "whatever" now has a new meaning for me!
==========================================================
Bible Verses I Don't Like by Steve Murrell
I love the Bible - at least most of it. But, I have to admit that there are some verses I really don't like. If pastors are supposed to love the whole Bible equally, then maybe I'm not a very good pastor.
I don't mind the giving, going, cross-carrying, personal sacrifice for the gospel verses. Those are difficult, but do-able.
The verses I have trouble with are relational - verses that instruct or command me to do things that are unnatural and uncomfortable, like showing kindness to mean people, praying for my persecutors, turning the other cheek...
Here are some of those verses I wish God would edit:
Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you - Matt 5:44
Pray for them? Sometimes I feel like praying God will take them to heaven (or wherever), soon.
do good to those who hate you - Lk 6:27
I'd rather pray for them, than do good to them. This is not fair. And why do they hate me anyway? I'm just a "nice guy trying to help people".
But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. - Lk 6:35
It just got worse. Not only am I expected to pray for them, do good to them, but now I am supposed to lend to them and expect nothing in return. Is this actually possible?
if you do not forgive people their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. - Matt 6:15
This one scares me real bad.
Since God will not edit or change His eternal word for me, I better figure out how to:
- love my enemies & persecutors
- do good to those who hate me
- forgive people who hurt me
Lord, help me in my unbelief!
(And, help me forgive, 7 x 70!)
candidly humourous, or is it humourously candid....this really brought a smile and some guffaws to me :)
ReplyDelete