I had the most interesting movie date last nite now looking
back… watched “Just Follow Law” with my dad and granddad! And this would be
after a rather amazing buffet dinner a the Ritz with my brother, dad and granddad.
3 generations of men! Special dinner this was.. my granddad being the father of
my mother so seeing that we missed visiting him the past CNY since we were away
in
we took this chance to take him on a date with us.
It was honestly a very wonderful experience, to see my dad
continue to honor my grandfather as his father-in-law though it has been 4.5
years since my mum passed away and he has since remarried.
He had in mind only to bring my grandpa to the best places..
we first tried Raffles Hotel, but all they had was an Indian Curry buffet o we
ended up in the Ritz Carlton another 5 star hotel. But more than the choice of
hotels and food, I was very blessed to see how my dad with bring to my grandpa
dishes and dishes of food that he knew grandpa would like. One of his favourite
dishes is oysters and seeing my dad queuing up at the omelette oyster (orh
luak) station to get it for him, followed by bringing “tang yuan”, yam ice
cream with fried “nian gao”, getting his coffee order right (black), fruits
etc, was just one of the best. For some reason, I really felt privileged to be
able to be a part of taking my grandpa out.
says he felt bad because he was out so much the last year – my dad travels a
lot and last year, he was out of the country most of the time, and he wasn’t
able to take out my grandpa much. After we dropped grandpa home,
he doesn’t get cooped up at home. Perhaps also because
father died when I was just 1 or 3 yo, and grandpa really has been kind to him.
Actually, one of the things that I admire most abt my dad is that he had approached my
grandpa to get his blessings for his remarriage to his current wife 2 years ago. I wonder how many
pp would actually do that. But my dad, did do it. Talk about honoring parents,
even in-laws.
I got a chance to chat w my dad on our way back in the car… honestly
some of my best moments with my dad has been in our chats in the car and as he
was sharing about his past work experiences, I just found that there’s still so
much I could learn from him. He’s so knowledgeable in current affairs and other
people management issues!
While he may not be some world renowned leader in politics,
government, church etc, but he is my dad, a faithful employee, responsible
husband, son-in-law and father and that cuts the cake for me.
ivy, your dad sounds like an amazing and kind man : >
ReplyDeleteKindness in men is such a precious quality, I was really touched that he even asked his father-in-law for his blessings to marry again.
How sweet! Lining up to get the food he knew your grandfather likes. That's the kind of serving that is so sincere.
ReplyDelete