Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tribute to Pastor Larry and Elaine Matsuwaki

Today's Pastor Larry Matsuwaki's 42nd birthday! It's been 7 years since i first came to be part of his flock and i must say, i am eternally grateful to God for leading me to this flock under Ps Larry's care.

It has been an amazing 7 years and i must say that it has been such a privilege and enjoyable experience being part of Every Nation Church (Singapore). I;ve not met a bunch of people who're as filled with humour, international and fun than those i've met here in ENCS, and all that, balanced with strong foundational teaching of the Word of God and a commitment towards the Lordship of Christ. And i am grateful for this man who has allowed himself to be used by God in order for ENCS to be birthed.

I mentioned a few things of how Ps Larry and Elaine has blessed me today and i just wanted to blog it down here because this amazing couple deserves to be honored for all that they've done:

Legalistic Bone Breaking

Ps Larry breaks every possible legalistic bone in a person, and most especially in mine. And i guess coming from a society where protocol is so important and heirarchical authority is closely followed, being under his leadership has been an eye opening experience. Sometimes, it is so tempting to apply the SOP of the world into the church, and in Singapore where ISOs and Quality Standards are so highly coveted, it has been in my very nature to see that being applied even in my Christianity. As such, following rules and regulations have been very much a part of me and i think if I had been around during Jesus' time, i'd have made a great Pharisee. I appreciate Ps Larry so much because in his leadership, he has extended so much grace to his people, addressing not the external behaviors but what's happening in the heart. When most people were inclined to shake their heads and criticize when a person makes a mistake or have fallen short of 'standards', Ps Larry has taught me the importance of extending love and still believing in the best of people even when you see them at their worst. He has taught me the importance of reaching the hearts of people so they give their hearts to Christ vs just having them change their behavior to align themselves with Christ. He has taught me that it's not adherence to protocols and rules that makes a Christian, but a submitted heart to Christ

Generous

I've never attended an AGM where i would feel proud when i see high expenses in a budget. But that was how i have felt in our recent AGMs. Let me explain. I am grateful that i serve a generous leader, that sets aside money not just to save but to give, to bless others even if no credit comes to him nor any recognition. I am always amazed at how he looks to bless not just needy people within the church in SG but other members of the EN family. It is one thing to respond to needs, but it is another to actively look out for needs and go the mile to plan for them and meet them.

Funny

Ps Larry is still the only pastor i know that forgets the punchlines of his jokes on stage, and is still able to get away with it with the crowd laughing at him. He is funny without even trying.

Full of Faith

I was watching an episode of Mondo Magic in the streets of Singapore.. if you don't know what Mondo Magic is, it's a couple of guys that roam the streets around the world to perform street magic so the crowds would be in awe. In this episode, there were here in Singapore and i was so tickled by their comments about the Singaporean crowd! "tough, challenging etc". It was SO hard for them to get anyone to pay attention to them or get a good reaction because really, Singaporeans can be rather skeptical and distrusting, esp towards those not from here and sometimes, abit too cerebral for our own good. Honestly, it takes alot for a foreigner to come live in Singapore and reach a local crowd. I was thinking if it was so challenging for these Mondo Magic guys to just catch the attention of the local crowd just for visual tricks, how much more a preacher to speak on things of eternal things that they can't see. I am almost certain that these Mondo guys were happy to leave SG.

It takes alot to first come, and then even more, to stay but that was the very thing that Ps Larry has done. To uproot himself from the chillax, friendly island of Hawaii and plant himself here in crazy, busy island of SG. Thank you Pastor, for believing the best of this land, and staying here, even when things were so unwelcoming in the first place. Thank you for choosing to trust God instead of yourself and choosing to listen to Him instead of the discouraging words of others.

Open Relationships

One thing i love about ENCS is that everybody has the opportunity to hang out with and be friends with people from all age groups. There are no barriers between married couples, singles and students but a very fluid, open relationship between everyone. It never fails to amaze me how involved the singles are with kids church and how much they get along with the married couples. It also amazes me how much the students get to mingle with the working professionals and with other adults. I have learnt so much from witnessing the couples in life and gained so much wisdom from hearing their life experiences. I know that most of my non-church peers only hang out with their peers and i realise that without a church community like this, i'd have done the same. I never realised how much I'd have missed out, without meeting others currently in different phases of their lives and how much it helps in giving me a realistic outlook of what marriage really is about. Such an open environment is not a fluke but i believe a deliberate effort that Ps Larry and Elaine have made to ensure that there are no "exclusive" groups in the church and maximum mingling because it all starts with how they treat everyone in the church. I love them for their humility and treating every one just like they are equally important. I love them for not looking down on youth but always believing the best in them. I love them for treating me as an adult even when i was still a student and i love them for trusting me when i wasn't even sure i could trust myself.

I've said very little of Elaine here but that's coz i save the best for last. haha. I know all the above is possible because Elaine has been such a great helpmate to Ps Larry and it takes a strong woman to support such a strong man of faith! Elaine, if there is Iron Man, then you must be Iron Woman. You are my superheroine because of all that you do behind the scenes and still look so good doing that!

God bless you, Ps Larry and Elaine for all that you've given and continue to give. We love you so much in ENCS and I surely do!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. This is nice. They're awesome. =)

    And, happy 7 years Ivy. =)

    ReplyDelete