13 April, yesterday was the birthday of my big brother Gary!
Actually im so inspired to write a blog about him because i've never really written about him at all.. and i've heard so much about what he means to other people.. so i wanna let pp know what and how much he means to me.
Gary Toh Boon Hsing, Born on Friday, 13th April 1977 is the sweetest, kindest brother that I could have ever asked for. It's like God knew what the Toh Family needed and what I needed and perfectly made him out. But his destiny and life goes beyond this family..
Gary is honestly first and foremost my Protector. I will never forget the time he asked me if I liked any guy or if any guy liked me.. because he said he will sit on the person. Hahaha! We've, of course, gone through the tough times as siblings.. irritation, feelings of unfairness, fights and just pure aggressiveness but when it boils down to real danger, he will be there. Kindergarten always had him picking me up from the school bus site at the void deck back to our HDB flat.. and as he gained access to the car.. he would tag team my dad in picking me up from whichever venue when it was too late. As late 20s cut in.. it became really just him.
Things of course weren't always rosy... my primary and secondary school friends can bear witness at how much i disliked this guy at that point. Every one would always tell me how sweet and kind my brother was when they came over to our place.. i would always brush it off as a 'show'..tsk tsk..i know.. talk about a cynical sister!! Turning point came when Gary was posted to Taiwan (and that's when i took on a little more responsibility as a family member. Thank GOD for NS) and on my bday, he sent me a series of Little Bob Dog bookmark and stickers..haha! it didn't cost very much but it meant alot to me that he remembered. From then on, i became abit nicer to him..haha..but at the end, it really took the diagnosis of my mum's sickness that really drew us together.
Gary is still the only person that can make me laugh WHILE i'm crying.. believe me, its a terrible feeling!! ahah.. I didn't appreciate it in the midst of the outburst but i appreciate him because he shows me not to take things too seriously and gives a different perspective on things (now, it looks like i have to return this favor :p) He is wise! hehe.. surely wise.. though many times in the past and i guess sometimes even now, i choose against taking it (Pride o Pride... beware of your downfall, girl!). The reason why he is wise is not just because he's got more knowledge and experience than i have but i know he is one that loves more than I do. He has always been loving, kind and always a servant. As for me.. i've been for the most part of my life spoilt, angry, selfish when im at home.. it is indeed a work that God has had to do in my life! It must have been grace in God's life to have given a brother like Gary to put up with all the nonsense in me!
Gary is super patient with me and more often than not gives in to me (which isn't necessarily good) and finds humour in more things than i do. Though he's generally quiet, he is surely more people friendly than me. While I have a sign that says "Don't come too close, I bite".. Gary's sign " Feed me, I eat, not bite".. J..O..K...E. hehe but that's how different we are!
If you've heard of the show Everybody Loves Raymond, Gary's like that.. we have a Reality TV show called Everybody Loves Gary..haha.. but it's true, he is that great. I always tell my friends.. that Gary is like the BFG (Big Friendly Giant).. and so my future sister in law, whoever she is, is REALLY BLESSED. I only ask the Lord that He would send my spouse before he gets married so i won't miss his "brothering" too much! keke
and before i end, i want to put on record the sweetest thing that Gary has said about me: I address Gary as 'Kor' which means elder brother in Hokkien and i sometimes i ask him for favors or for money if i was running short. I have a good friend called Amy Chua and she was also engaged then to her present husband Jarrett and she would often playfully call Gary 'kor' whenever she needed a lift home or for money just for fun. And there was this occasion when it was near their wedding date and Amy called him 'kor' for fun again and he suddenly sighed and said seriously, "Can you not call me Kor coz everytime u do that, u remind me that my lil' sis is going to get married some day" --- AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwww
haha but seriously i was very touched that day and i actually cried after..haha.. that I would have an older brother that still treasured this precocious and most times unreasonable and selfish little sister.. in spite of all that i am! haha truly this is the grace and love of God in my life to have a brother like dis. hehe.
Anyway, I thank GOD for giving me such an awesome brother, wouldn't exchange the last 26 years with him for the world..i will try to be a better sister by the grace God!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARY!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment